Science Europe is an association of major public European Research Funding Organisations (RFOs) and Research Performing Organisations (RPOs). Based in Brussels and established in 2011, the organisation’s mission is twofold: active advocacy and collaboration. The organisation has established itself as a recognised and respected ‘third voice’ in the European Research Area, alongside national governments and the European institutions, in order to impact political decisions concerning science and research. The organisation also promotes exchange and co-operation between its 43 Member Organisations (MOs) in terms of both policy and activities. The Science Europe Office is composed of a very multicultural team (at present 14 staff members).
We are currently looking for the following roles:
- Secretary-General (M/F)
- You will develop the strategy and policy for Science Europe, taking into consideration the input of the MOs and the Governing Board (comprising Heads of MOs);
- You will translate the Association’s approved strategy into an action plan and will lead its implementation through the organisation of work in groups, task forces, or high level networks;
- As a real ‘spokesperson’, you will represent Science Europe towards different stakeholders such as the MOs, European institutions, and other bodies (Representation of Member States, research organisations, European universities, academies, etc.);
- You will advocate and promote Science Europe’s vision, strategy, and policies while shaping a common vision among the different MOs;
- You will identify the most effective interventions (cross-border collaboration, benchmarking, etc.) to influence policy for science and research in Europe, in line with the agreed interests of Science Europe;
- Together with the Science Europe Office, you will proactively monitor European and international developments in science and research policy, and provide policy expertise to the Governing Board (GB) and the MOs;
- You will be responsible for the overall management of the Science Europe Office, within an approved annual budget;
- You will be appointed by the GB for a 6-year term.
- Your strong leadership & charisma, your ability to be visionary, your networking skills while federating and having an impact on people, will be the keys for your success.
- You have at least a Master’s degree education level or equivalent.
- You have at least 10 years of relevant professional experience, preferably within research at national level and/or in public research policy at European level. An experience within the academic research area is an asset.
- You are familiar with the funding policies/programs of the European Union and member state institutions.
- You have experience in budget and people management.
- You have an excellent level of English (spoken and written). Operational knowledge of one or more EU official languages is a plus.
- You have already developed strategies and implemented them operationally.
- You are recognised for your strong organisational skills, and efficient capacity to drive operations & decision making processes.
- The possibility to work for an organisation at the heart of science and research policy at European level, with a valuable impact on research and the scientific community as a whole.
- A challenging, highly skilled, and multicultural working environment including contact with several countries (in and outside Europe) and international institutions.
- High level of autonomy in the position and strong external visibility.
- An opportunity to benefit from your leadership, and your capacity to inspire and federate several stakeholders.
- An attractive compensation package.
This recruitment is exclusively conducted by Hudson. Please send your application including CV and motivation letter (max 2 pages) to Hudson, attn. Paul-Etienne Siegrist, Marcel Thirylaan 75 – 1200 Brussels, tel. 02/610.27.39, email pauletienne.siegrist [at] jobs.hudson.com, be.hudson.com. Do not forget to mention reference BE752622. Replies will be dealt with swiftly and in strictest confidence.
View this vacancy for Secretary-General in PDF format.